Danish Border Association - Grænseforeningen
It is the rationale for The Danish Border Association:
- to support the Danish culture in Southern Schleswig, which form
the northern part of Schleswig-Holstein
- to increase the knowledge in Denmark of the culture and
conditions of the Danish minority in Southern-Schleswig
- on a broader scale to sustain and support Danish language and
The target group of The Danish Border Association is people of
all ages, who take an interest in either:
• Danish language, culture and history
• issues of minority rights
Some activities of The Danish Border Association are founded in
the local departments and other in the main organization.
The local departments primarily organize historic and cultural
lectures, trips to Schleswig or other places in Europe with
The main organization organizes different projects:
- Holiday children/Feriebørn - www.feriebarn.dk: Summer holiday
with Danish families in Denmark for children of the Danish minority
- Exchange pupils/Udvekslingselever - www.feriebarn.dk: A two week exchange
between pupils in Denmark and the Danish minority in Germany.
- Student ambassadors/Elevambassadører - http://www.elevambassadørerne.com:
Students of the Danish minority visit schools in Denmark and give
speeches about belonging to a national minority, having two mother
tongues, diversity etc.
- Ambassadors of Intercultural meeting/Kulturmødeambassadører (http://ambassador.graenseforeningen.dk):
A large group of students belonging to the Danish minority in
Germany as well as the German minority and ethnic minorities in
Denmark are meeting up with other students in Denmark representing
both the majority and the minorities in order to discuss prejudice
and other obstacles for making everyone feel at home.
The main organization also publishes the magazine GRÆNSEN six
times a year discussing minority issues, culture and language and
the website www.GRÆNSEN.dk for a
free public debate.
Size of the organisation:
Number of members: 15000
Number of local departments: 73
For more information about Danish Border Association - Grænseforeningen go to www.graenseforeningen.dk